Editor's ChoiceCategories Credit Type Issuers Blog

Repairing Your Credit After Bankruptcy Part 1

10/08/2008

After we declared bankruptcy, our credit was understandably in shambles. I searched all over the internet for tips and tricks that would help me rebuild my credit quickly but the fact is, it takes time to build a great credit score. It takes even more time if you are rebuilding after something as disastrous as a bankruptcy!

It can be done though, and my husband and I are about halfway through the process. Our bankruptcy was three years ago, and we have done everything we could each and every month to raise our scores back up. Here’s the shortlist of ways we raised our credit score after bankruptcy. As always, I love your questions! So if you have any, just drop me a note in the comments below, and I will be happy to answer them for you.

How we rebuilt our credit after bankruptcy:

1) We challenged items on our credit report –
You can challenge both incorrect and correct items on your credit reports. I am well aware that it’s unethical to challenge correct items. Frankly, declaring bankruptcy was one of the most unethical things I’ve ever done, and I am certainly not losing sleep over the few correct items I was able to have removed from my own credit reports.

Everything about the bankruptcy was done to give my family a future, including the credit report challenges. If you are going to challenge items on your own credit report, you can read more about how to do that in our article “How To Dispute An Item On Your Credit Report” There is a step-by-step downloadable guide at the end that will walk you through the entire process.

2) We contacted any creditors that were still reporting open accounts, and gave them our bankruptcy information – We had a lot of open accounts because of our medical bills. Every time a collection company sold our debt, the new owner of the debt would list another delinquent account on our credit reports. So even though the person who owned the debt at the time of our bankruptcy was contacted, no one else was.

This meant we had to back-track our debts (using our credit reports) and contact the people who used to own the accounts too. Not everyone was cooperative, but in the end we did get most of the old medical accounts to show up as closed w/ bankruptcy rather than still open and delinquent.

3) We opened up two credit card accounts each – The sad fact is, you have to have and use credit in order to build your credit score. A lot of people come off of a bankruptcy and swear off credit cards forever. If this is what they must do do manage their finances, then more power to them! However, my husband and I recognized that restoring our credit was the only way we would ever own a home someday. So, we applied for, and got, two cards each.

Which credit cards did we use after bankruptcy?

Those are the first three steps we used to repair our credit after bankruptcy. I will cover the other steps in part two of this guide. If you have questions or comments about any of these techniques, please let me know. You can use the comments form below.

Keep Reading:

RELATED POSTS
39 Comments
Anh
October 9, 2008 @ 5:21 am

Just wondering how long after your discharge that you applied for the secured credit card. Thanks much.

October 9, 2008 @ 1:13 pm

Hi Anh,

We waited about six months, but that was mostly because we didn’t have the cash to spare to open the accounts up. You can apply for a secured credit card any time after your bankruptcy has been discharged. Since you’re basically guaranteeing the loan with your own money, most companies aren’t picky about the bankruptcy.

Susan
October 19, 2008 @ 2:45 am

I see not only are you a thief but a liar as well. How nice of you to “challenge” the correct items on your credit report!
Maybe that fact does not make you lose sleep at night, but how about all the people you screwed over by declaring bankruptcy?
And btw-we pay for our family’s health insurance each and every month outof our own pocket.

July 2, 2015 @ 10:17 pm

Susan, Please take a deep breath. People file bk 7 for a good reason. They got steam rolled in the crash of 2009 and so on. Don’t be so jaded, Its not healthy for you. also in BK 13 your pay your creditors back over a 3-5 year period. Also nobody gets screwed over. Banks are insured and collecting for a third time on the loan or loans. It is also your and My American right to file for relief and get a fresh start. I do agree with you that it should not be done unless absolutely necessary. Please be fair to everyone including yourself. Oh a Note : Donald Trump has filed Bankruptcy 3 time so go figure Ha.

Jnet
October 21, 2008 @ 1:19 pm

Due to a permanently disabling illness, I lost my job and had to file bankruptcy 2 years ago. I wish things were different. I have worked hard everyday of my life, until I got sick 4 years ago. I struggled for another 2 years to attempt to work, pay Dr’s bills and all the rest of my debt. I had no choice. Here it is, two years later and one of the Company’s hit my credit report with 4 dings, listing 4 charge offs? Can they do this? Will all the rest hit me too? my credit number was low as a result of the bankruptcy, now it’s hit rock bottom. For all of you that are unsympathetic to a person that could file bankruptcy, I will pray you never get sick.

rann
October 24, 2008 @ 1:47 pm

I don’t see how declaring bankruptcy makes you a THIEF. If it were, it would be ILLEGAL to file. I can see how some people may see it as the “easy way out” and such, but being able to file bankruptcy is there FOR A REASON and you shouldn’t be made to feel guilty because you end up in a situation where it is in your best interest to file. We filed Chap 7 over 3 years ago because of medical bills that got out of hand (and we are uninsured) when I had problems with kindey stones and had to have surgery for that as well as having my appendix removed. We are like most of those families that fall through the cracks where that kind of situation is concerned………we make too much money to qualify for any kind of medical assistance but not enough to be able to buy health insurance. We were sinking in a sea of debt and this was the only way to keep from drowning. Yes, I realize there are people out there who use bankrupcty to their advantage and/or they kept getting credit cards and taking out loans KNOWING they were going to file bankruptcy….but there actually are people out there who are not trying to scam by working the system to thier advantage for devious reasons. It is the same with food stamps, welfare and other programs like that as well. The majority of people on it have no business using it, but amongst all those people perfectly capable of taking care of themselves if they would get off their lazy butts, there are actually a few people that these programs were set up for that legitimately need them and it is the same with bankrupcty. There are actually people out there who need this assistance and should not be made to feel like scum or a theif because they use it.

Jeannie
October 24, 2008 @ 6:14 pm

Jenna, thanks so much for sharing your experience with the intent of helping others. You are not a thief, and obviously have a much kinder heart than some other people… whose opinions really don’t count for much.

People who truly have it together try to help and uplift others where they can. People who are a mess act out and attempt to tear others down, like what we saw above. At the end of the day, you know what kind of a person you are.

You should be proud of yourself for doing what you need to do to take care of yourself. Sometimes, life deals you nothing but lousy options. If comments like the one above ever get you down, please remind yourself that businesses do this all the time. When bankruptcy happens in the business world, it’s called a “business decision.” What some people think is “immoral” in the personal sphere becomes just another daily occurence in the business sphere… Never mind that bankruptcy in business is often a product of irresponsible leaders overextending a company so they can ‘get theirs’ before the bankrupt company… does what? Buys out the true thieves’ contracts to get rid of them. Now really — who’s immoral here?

As far as the “people [anyone] screw[s] over” (see Susan’s comment, above) by declaring bankruptcy… Why do we think medical care costs so much? Everyone who can and does pay their bill is paying enough to pay for the care they received as well as make up for other people who aren’t able to pay. Why do we think credit card companies charge usurious interest rates and use sneaky bait-and-switch tactics? They have number-crunchers giving them detailed statistics on how much bad debt they have likely extended, so they know how much extra to charge everyone else to make up for that. At the end of the day, these people still make a profit. *Everyone* is making “business decisions” here. Don’t feel bad about yours.

October 24, 2008 @ 9:00 pm

Thank you all so much for your kind and understanding comments, they matter more than you know, and they made me smile. 🙂

Mary
December 3, 2008 @ 11:57 am

Just to comment about anyone who hasn’t been in this situation and that has enough money to buy there own medical insurance. You can’t really understand the hell people go through to struggle and pay there bills and try to feed there family. In today’s economy there just nothing left over after buying gas and food for your family..

Jan
January 6, 2009 @ 3:48 am

Susan, you have obviously never had serious health problems or have fallen on bad luck, lost a long term job to you company moving overseas or just plain been screwed by the economy. I think you need to stick your feet in someone else’s shoes for a real life lesson.

Jodie
January 22, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

Jenna,
I just wanted to thank you for having this information availble for me to read
We our going to get are discharge in about a month I hope
we been in the bankruptcy for over 14 month and just want it to be over
did know where to start and then I foind this site
So THANK YOU THANK YOU

January 22, 2009 @ 9:05 pm

Congratulations on your discharge Jodie!

Best of luck as you begin repairing your credit. It’s easier than you think it can just be a little costly in the beginning.

Tim
February 16, 2009 @ 4:33 am

I opened an unsecured at ORchard Bank less than 6 months after discharge credit limit $750 – Very easy approval.

Beth
February 17, 2009 @ 1:30 am

Hello all,

Thank you for the information and posts. Guess what? I, too, have been debilitatingly ill for over 3 years and have spend over $50,000 on my credit cards to get well. I saw over 27 doctors and finally was diagnosed 3 months ago with chronic advaced Lyme disease. It has been HELL to say the least…I have never been so sick in my whole life.

Because my doctors were unable to come up with an accurate diagnosis in a reasonable amount of time my Lyme spread to my brain and CNS. I was so desperate for relief I spent so much money trying alternative therapies since the medical system here really failed me.

I am on the path to recovery now with major medical expenses still, but I am researching declaring bankruptcy because I cannot handle the minimum payments on $50,000 ($1400/month), pay for my current and future treatments (this is going to be a long battle) and I am only making 60% of my salary on disability.

I have already negotiated down my interest rates but still cannot afford the monthly payments. I guess the good news is that I don’t have a car or house to be repossesed but I would like to be able to buy a car and house someday…I have no husband or family to help me and this is really hard.

My heart goes out to all the other people who have chronic debilitating illness and major expenses because of it. Talk about feeling screwed!

If anyone knows of a reputable debt settlement company, please let me know. Most want to charge me $7500 plus a monthly fee to help me talk down the total amount of debt owed back to 40%, but they don’t even pay the creditors, they just have the creditee put money in an account and pay it themselves…I want to be very cautious.

Prayers to all of you.

Beth

Jacquelyn Jones
February 26, 2009 @ 6:01 am

Welcome to the game, Short and sweet . Laid off ,searched for a job a month straight , Asked mortages car, credit card people to reduce interest rates , lower car note and lower interst rates on credit cards , Met with NO, NO not at all .After I brgged pleaded cried and applied for my unemployment which was not enought to satisfy anybody ,lost house car and living with a relative untill I get back on board for a short while, I know soneof you out there has not gone through this to this extent , But if and when you do . It will be a bumpy ride , All bills pd on time every month and when I could not get back up on my feet quickly, Thrown to wolves Chapter seven , no more regrets

Rose
March 30, 2009 @ 5:34 pm

I too had to take out bankruptcy after my husband passed away unexpeceditaly 4years ago. I was so embarresed by this, as we had always paid our bills on time.I also thought it was wise to get rid of all my credit cards and pay only cash for my needs. Not the greatest idea. Now I would like to refinance my home but I found out I have no credit score. I was encouraged to get a credit card and use it wisely. I applied for a WalMart card, since I shop there regulary. Guess what? They turned me down because of the bankruptcy. Any way I’m going to try a secured card and hope that works.
So all you people that have been there, good luck to you. Those of you that think bankruptcy is not the way to go, I hope you never have to find out, as most credit card companies only care about the bottom line. Too bad we all don’t work for AIG!

Patricia
April 14, 2009 @ 11:25 pm

I have read all of your responses and my heart goes out to each of you (except Susan). The bottom line: Things happen that are beyond our control. When that happens the only option you have is to survive so I don’t blame any of you for your decision. I want to give you all some advice. There are several places that will give you credit, but use it wisely. I filed bankruptcy 4/30/08 discharged 8/27/08 (will never forget that day). Recently got the nerve to apply for a credit card in April was approved through Capital One. I spent $11 and paid it off before I got my first statement (4/11/09). Target is also known to be bankruptcy friendly but if you are not a target shopper I wouldn’t get one. Anyway my advice is be patient and things will come to you.

Renee Winford
August 5, 2009 @ 9:14 am

I thinks its a shame that people teach other people to lie and cheat. Although Bankruptcy isn’t a crime, you still have to accept responsibility for it and change your behavior (the root of the problem). Lieing to remove a debt you owe, is sweeping dirt under the carpet. Also, its a horrible idea to go and get credit cards again! You did not do your homework. A secured card will prevent you from going into debt and it does wonders for your credit. The best thing you can do is to never be late on any of your bills. You need a 1 yrs good payment history…Contact Consumer Credit Counseling services for help. Use the information. Never lie or cheat anyone. FYI: that is what the rip off credit repair companies do and are being fined and shut down because it is illegal. You reap what you sew

Jeni
August 13, 2009 @ 2:43 pm

I have sat here and read the responses above and I honestly can’t believe the way people talk to other people. You don’t know their situations or what they’ve been through. And who gives you the right to judge what they HAVE to do?

My husband and I have just started the proceedings for filing bankruptcy and there is NOTHING easy about it. It’s not an easy way out! We have owned our own business for the last seven years and until this economy went south we were doing great. We could afford everything that we have. We took our kids on nice vacations, paid for college; we had the “Great American Dream”. We are now losing it all…house, cars, business, etc. It’s not easy. We have no other choice at this stage of the game.

I’m not going to be ashamed, embarrassed or harassed by people like you because we are in this situation. We weren’t out borrowing and spending money that we didn’t have, we were working hard trying to provide a good life for our family. We have tried to keep from filing bankruptcy and all we’ve done is prolonged the inevitable.

Before you judge you should walk in my shoes!

Tasha
September 14, 2009 @ 3:41 am

Well…I have never been sick, unemployed or loose a business..im just one of those people who was young and dumb that made bad decisions in the past not realizing the consequences and NOW I have things i want to do that I cant. I would like a fresh start since i have done my homework and more responsible with my life. I have just started my chptr 7 in the process of getting my paperwork together, so your advice i will take with me and thanks for the insight….thank u…and goodluck fellow bankruptcipions.

Maria
September 24, 2009 @ 1:12 pm

Susan, try to learn compassion and understanding for others. Being judgemental is not a healthy way to live. As many have said – walk a mile in someone else’s shoes before you utter one word about their situation. Obviously, you have NO idea what it’s like to fall on hard times and not be able to to pull yourself out. Again, as others have said there is nothing easy about this. It’s a humiliating experience and one not undertaken lightly.

Jenna, thank you so very much for taking the time to help others – it always amazes me the volume of information online and how many people put effort in to do this, when they are getting little to no return – just pure generosity. Thank you again.

Donna
January 16, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

There are a lot of people who fall on hard times, and not by choice. I too, was in that situation. I had gotten divorced, and was left with all the bills. I had a job at the time that paid for everything. Then, the unexpected happened, I got laid off. I couldnt survive being a single parent on unemployment with all those bills. I ate up all my savings to try to avoid bankruptcy. I ended up getting another job, only to be paid less than half of what I was making before. I had NO CHOICE but to declare bankruptcy. I was drowning in debt and I had a little girl to worry about. Sometimes you gotta do things in life you are not proud of, but must do whatever it takes in order to survive. I am credit card and debt free now and living within my means. I sleep better at night and have no more stress and worry in my life wondering where I was going to get all the money to pay my bills. Its not a fun situation to be in..so before you criticize someone for something…think of how you would handle it if it happened to YOU.

bb
January 18, 2010 @ 12:31 am

Any advise on if Lexington Law is worth using to help?
Thanks

Natalie Luongo
May 4, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

i have great results with National credit Federation, check it out!

Lexinton Law is terrible! I know alot of people who switched from the to NCF.

I VARELA
July 15, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I filed for bankruptcy and Im still waiting for an official discgarge. With that said my question is, am I able to open a savings account without being concern about levys?

Bob G
July 26, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

Thanks for your web site. I am just getting ready to file chapter 7 and wanted to know what the next steps are to rebuild credit. I found a wealth of info on your site and will let you know how well it works for me. Thanks again and have a good day, week and year!!!

Jorge
September 26, 2010 @ 11:38 am

Hello to all. A few years ago I was on the top of the world, drove a nice Cadillac, made good money and had good credit, until I lost my job. The transition from that was horrible and I don’t wish anybody goes thru that. after years of struggle, repossession and multiple side jobs, I was advice that I should consider bankruptcy, at first the Idea of eliminating all my debt was like I was doing something wrong, but the truth is that it is a legal process, and many people go true it .when I realize that I was getting close to get a garnishment at my job. I decided to take action. The process was not that complicated but stressful, always hoping to have all debt clear before any garnishments or bank leans. About four moths later I finally got the discharge letter. That was one of the happiest days of my life. I thought I can start fresh and on time provide my family with a house of our own and a better future. Of course rebuilding credit after bankruptcy is a slow process but at least my debt was clear. A few days ago my car broke down and when I took it to the shop they toll me that I need it a new engine. “Here we go more problems”, I had a little money on the side for emergencies, but I was afraid to buy another car with problems that will cause me more head aches in the feature, so after doing some research I made the decision to go for a pre own car from a dealer. I figure I’ll give it a try plus if I get it, I was told is a good way to rebuild my credit. I got to the dealer at 7: 30pm and by closing time 8:00pm I was driving my new car. I was very surprised that the process was so fast and effective even with my BK and the funniest thing was that I was approved by the same bank that I was approved for the Cadillac, off course with a higher interest rate. After all there is a light at the end off the tunnel the BK process is meant for a second chance in credit and to be more responsible, I know I will. Thank you all for sharing your stories and I wish nobody has to go true this process unless they have to. The way I see it: If banks can get millions from the government to get bailed out, why not take advantage off the BK process as a second chance for hardworking people.

Glenn
January 12, 2011 @ 5:57 pm

I love how some people act like you are scum for claiming bankruptcy or about the disputing correct items, as if this alone defines you. I’m sure those same people have cheated on a spouse/significant other, punched someone in the face, lied about a coworker, disrespected their parents, or sped down a highway.

Look, people who have claimed bankruptcy or have done any other thing that they aren’t proud of. As long as you use this experience as a tool to improve who you are, you are fine. I myself have done things that I’d never do again, like letting myself spend money I didn’t have. I claimed bankruptcy 3 years ago, and now I have decent credit (690’s). More importantly though, I have not slipped up since I did it. I “grew up”. You have to realize that no matter what your situation (even medical), if you want to improve some facet of your life, you have to change yourself. You must adopt a completely different view on the offending behavior.

Finally, on this dispute issue. Lying is never a good thing. Listen here though… if lying saved your job, saved you a speeding ticket, or stopped you from saying something hurtful to someone else, but then you change your habits… I’d have a tough time downing someone for that. Now if it keeps happening, that’s where the line needs to be drawn. Condemning someone for a one-mistake is not only idiotic, its not Christian. Who are you to override God’s forgiveness?

Jessica
February 17, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

I have read through all of these messages as well and I too have a story to tell. My name is Jessica and I have had to claim bankruptcy this past Nov 2010 due to a hardship my family and I had suffered months before. My first husband and I bought our first home in 2008 with our 2 girls finally after living all over the world serving in the U.S. Army. We were finally ready to settle down in Florida and work regular jobs. Well on April 13th 2009 my husband never came home again, because I would find out later that day he had been in a car accident that involved 2 other females lives. May God Keep Them Safe Everyday! My husband was charged with 2 counts of DUI Manslaughter charges and many more others at that time. He was finally sentenced Feb 11th to serve 21 yrs in prison in the state of Florida. My husband was the only one working at the time and I was trying daily to get a job but I was shot down at ever position I applied for after serving 10+ in the U.S. Army as a Medical Nurse? Go Figure? I started to get depressed as anyone would have at this point in life but after what happened to my husband I was all that was left for my daughter’s and I had to be strong for them. It was only a matter of time before I would run out of money and lose our home and my 2008 car. I traded cars with my dad and tryed to put my house on the market for over a year. Of course no one was interest in buying a home for the going price so we started dropping the price of the home. It was a 4 bedroom 2 1/2 bath 2400 SF home corn lot with a pool. I was asking 230K at first then it dropped to 200K. Of course then filed bankruptcy there in Tampa Fl. An old friends of mine came down from Fort Bragg and helped out my daughter’s and myself by asking us to come and live with him. We now live in Washington State. Mike has retired out of the U.S. Army and has taken a job out west as a contractor on the base out here Fort lewis. So I am far from our family and the girl’s father but I must due whatever it takes to survive. I now have the girls back on health insurance and denatl plains and of course we all have a roof over our head. So what if I have to pretend to love him. I’ll do it for the girls. That is my story. Sorry it was very long. I just wanted to show that I too understand everyone above’s story and hardship’s. Life is hard and we can’t just give up. We must go on no matter what!

shika
July 9, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

I don’t see what’s wrong with disputing correct items. The credit bureaus don’t do due diligence when it comes to verifying the validity of items reported on your credit, so why not dispute the correct items? What’s the harm? When they refuse to take wrong items off your credit, it hurts you. When they accidentally take correct derogatory items off your credit report it helps you. Who does it harm? Credit reporting is nothing more than the creditors’ way of tattling on you. Sometimes that’s good when you pay good, sometimes its bad. Each person should do everything they can to help their credit score, even if you do dispute the correct items. I have recently been discharged from bankruptcy (which I filed due to being young and ignorant about the importance of having good credit, and how bad credit can effect your life). Its hard to get good credit, especially after bankruptcy so people should do whatever they legally can do to improve their score….BTW it is not illegal to dispute correct information…that’s called working the system! (call me scum if you’d like, but I call it being smart).

Tatiana
April 30, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

My husband got discharged from bancruptsy about 6 month ago, and i m getting ready to dispute negative items on his report. My question is can i dispute all of them in the same time or i need to do it one by one? Thank you
And if it ll help somebody, after my husband got discharged from bancruptsy we went to finansial advisor, and he said us the fastest way to rebuild your credit is get 2 credit cards and use only 10% if for example you have 500$ you can use only 49.99 then you pay 10$ a month and next month you spend this 10 dollars. He said if we will use our credit cards like that it ll add 10 points to our score each month until it ll reach 700 and after that it ll go really slow.
And i ll be very happy to get an answer for my question, thanks again.

tia
July 10, 2012 @ 4:26 pm

Thank you all for the information that you have posted. Like many of you, bankruptcy was the bottom of the barrel. I am here to advise you on another situation. Beware of “authorized signers” on any of your credit cards. My exhusband was not held responsible by the creditors for any charges that he made as I was the primary account holder. At the time of our divorce, he left me with almost 100k in unsecured debt and although he was ordered by our divorce decree to pay the money, he has never paid one penny. I tried to negotiate/settle/make minimum payments for about a year after the divorce but I couldn’t even put a dent in the balances. To this day, I will never understand how a 30k/yr salary qualified for that much unsecured credit.
So again, the best advice I can give is be responsible for your own credit and NEVER EVER EVER add someone on as an authorized signer, no matter who they are.

amy
July 29, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

My husband and I both filed bankruptcy about 3 years ago. We are slowy trying to rebuild it. Why have I been approved for credit and he has gotten denied?

Rose
August 5, 2012 @ 7:04 pm

I am just now facing bankruptcy…something i never thought would take place as an innocent girl living life and responsible with no parental guidance being that they died when i was 14. Well again LIFE happens and sometimes debt becomes the result of basic survival for example i was in a roll over car accident and my insurance didn’t cover the expenses and DEBT NUMBER 1 revealed itself “REPO” label on my credit while being out of commission for several months bills and credit card debt sky rocketed due to not meeting the minimal payments (could’t work). Next week will mark a day where i can say I AM DEBT FREE and i never thought that could ever happen in my life ….i was always dealt the bad cards….this is the first “Good” card iv’e been given…God is truly real and has been my “parent” all along and this is my second chance at life. Blessings to all of you who now get to live normal again.

Steve
October 7, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

This letter is for someone on the fence regarding filing bankruptsy as i have been for years//Im considering bankruptsy as well. For many years now i really felt i would be able to over come my debt,,, But the ecconomy has beaten me down,,I am self employed and have bben for many years. Yjat what gave me the faith that i might over come this debt. Im a former home builder by the way,Not much building going on these days. Any way back to the negative stigma of bankruptsy i struggled with… I fell like i should pay my bills.. I like to be paid on time being a business owner. We are all human and individuals. and unfortunately its the individual who stands alone,, there is no bail out for us like wall street and othe parts of corperate america have recieved. I need a fresh start as well. Im in this postion because of greed or mis handled funds or anything like that.You can guess what im talking about.What cant understand is why there hasnt been some government reform for the individual who had his or her credit destroyed by the ecconomy..A bail out for the individual.im not talking about geting money from the govenment,, from an already empty till.How about a 50 to a100 point curve for all those who have struggled and not file for bankruptsy..that would help the ecconomy alot quicker then a bankruptsy would. But sinse there isnt,, its the way to go.I have been strugling for almost 7years. and if i had just done it yrs ago.. I could be almost done by now. So my advise is speak to two or three attourneys and pick the one who you feel is going to work best for you and your situation, I have pic one and he is taking a payment plan, So that works for me, I will keep everyone posted on my progress and Im looking forward to reading about your progress as well.

Ron
October 18, 2012 @ 7:48 am

Regarding Susan. She should shut up and realize that thing happen to people that are beyond there control. She must lay down to get her bill paid.

jill bennetts
October 26, 2013 @ 1:43 am

Hi, i recently filed for bankruptcy and one of the creditors ignored the discharge and reattached my wages for over 900.00$. What can i do? Can i get this money back? Please help.

Kim
July 10, 2015 @ 5:41 pm

How long do you have to wait to buy a home after your BK is discharged

Jane
September 22, 2015 @ 3:11 pm

I too have filed Bankruptcy ,lived a normal life,worked for 33years ,husband for 34 years, raised our three children,we have eleven grand babies,married for 46 wonder full years, never lived beyond our means, payed every bill on time,in July of 2014,Husband diagnosed with lymph cancer, he passed quickly in six months,tried to work with mortgage lender, bank loan for car,credit card companies,we had been with our bank for over thirty years! no one would work with me! So to those who think that this cant happen, and think that it is a quick fix, and that we are trying to get out of some thing we owe,NO. it is a God send! one who has worked her whole life,first job at 14,washing dishes in small restaurant,I pray you are never ever in this situation, for me again I thank God this is here for all of us.