Editor's ChoiceCategories Credit Type Issuers Blog

American Express Platinum or Gold Card?

02/06/2009

Update – American Express is in the midst of updating their Platinum Card. We expect the new features and updates to be available later today. Please bear in mind that some information on this page regarding the card may be outdated at this moment.

In this comparison review, we will look at the differences between the American Express Gold, Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum version. We’ll find out at the end that these cards (especially the Premier Rewards and Platinum) can be complimentary and many people have both (we’ll explain why). We’ll also highlight the circumstances where one is better than the other. Below is the chart highlighting key features.

Earning Miles 1X – all purchases 3X – airline tickets
2X – Groceries & Gas
1X – all purchases
Gold Card Events Yes Yes Yes
Hotel Booking Perks Gold Hotel Connections Gold Hotel Connections Fine Hotel & Resorts
$200 Airline Credit No No Yes
International Companion Ticket No No Yes
Global Entry Membership No No Yes
Cruise Credits No No Yes – $100 Onboard Credit

Similarities

The most basic similarity among these cards is that the reward program is the same (well, almost) for all cards. Membership Rewards allows you to transfer points to their airline partners and hotel partners. Platinum cardholders are entitled to MR First program (which simply means there are a few high end luxury rewards). But for all intents and purposes, all these cards have the same program. Furthermore,

Differences

RELATED POSTS
17 Comments
Jeremy
May 8, 2009 @ 2:11 am

Hey there, thanks for the site! Here are some things that didn’t make sense to me:

“The Amex Platinum also has arrangements which hotels where you get special amenities and services at fine hotels and resorts.”

This sentence does not make grammatical sense.

“If not, then the American Express´┐Ż Preferred Rewards Gold Card will surface.”

Do you mean suffice? If you mean the card will ‘surface,’ you’re saying that the card will somehow come about without your doing anything. I’m pretty sure you mean ‘suffice’ as in ‘the Gold card will be good enough.’

I love your site and I hope these suggestions are helpful!

Jeremy

Fred Johnson
June 7, 2009 @ 8:56 pm

Jeremy,

You meed a life. We all knew what he meant.

June 7, 2009 @ 9:11 pm

Fred

Thanks for the kind words. But I’m also fine with folks pointing out my spelling errors

Mr CC

Billy
      May 24, 2017 @ 12:45 pm

And he said meed instead of need lol

Fred Johnson
June 7, 2009 @ 8:59 pm

Jeremy,

What I meant to say is you “need” a life. You do not “Meed” a life.

For we all know Meed means “a reward or recompense”

November 5, 2009 @ 10:04 am

Mr. CC Thanks for the explaination. Im just applying for an AX and this really helped.

*** Please dont ck my spelling errors***

E
March 17, 2010 @ 4:07 pm

Great info!! Thanks. Hey Jeremy – get a liffe

Paul
June 13, 2010 @ 5:02 pm

I am considering upgrading to Platinum from Premier Gold. In the past year I was able to get third row center theater tickets in Chicago to Addams Family (I liked it; critics did not) and obtained terrific box seats to see the top tennis players in the world compete in a Cincinnati warm-up to the US Open. Those advantages are worth a lot to me. Would Platinum be better for that? Also, does that “buy one business class and get one free” thing really work, or is it heavily restricted? Glad I found this site.

Mohammad Waheed
September 6, 2010 @ 1:06 pm

I am waiting for my AMEX Platinum card, which should be arriving soon.

John
June 13, 2011 @ 4:20 am

I jist clicked my upgrade button on site. Less than 7 bus days should get mine. Had some card listed on upgrade screen but that thing was like 5k….. Plat looks better and i can justify he 450 dunno what the other one it offered gave besides mega price.

diane
June 22, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

Hi

One area you did not mention is purchase protection

Gold only covers 1000. Plat covers up to 10,000

June 23, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Thanks – I’ll have to insert that in the post!

marshall
June 24, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

it’s a honor to have either card because its not just given out to anyone so everybody with a gold or platinum should feel priviledge just look around at folks face when you whip it out LMAO! Now take that VISA,Master Card or Discover. rich get richer and the poor use other cards. AMEX RULES! thats when you know you made it no revolving credit for me i hate carrying cash

Drew
January 25, 2012 @ 12:45 pm

More on the traveling; Platinum will wave the currency exchange fee.

Les
August 13, 2012 @ 3:04 am

If i have a business platinum, how do i get additional premier reward gold for that extra $15000. Thanks

Deb
December 20, 2012 @ 9:03 am

I just recently went to NY and purchased a great necklace. I have lost it or it was taken out of my home. I have been having extensive work done in the house.
I have the American Express Gold Premier Card. How do I approach them about this purchase and loss.

Thanks,