Companion Ticket for American Express Platinum Card
Update – American Express is no longer offering this feature on their Platinum Card. The post here reflects my personal experience when this feature was available. Presently, Amex is updating the features of this card and I will update this page if necessary to reflect the new information when it is available.
Having just got my new American Express Platinum Credit Card, I just checked the website and realized that they had a new “free companion ticket” feature! I did a little more investigation and found it very interesting. Here is how it works :
For up to four times a year, you can book a coach ticket on any of the big six carriers and get a free companion ticket. Sounds too good to be true? Well, there are a few criteria that you have to meet.
1. The ticket has to cost at least $299, $899 for flights to Honolulu and Anchorage.
2. The trip must be round-trip (multi-city, open jaw, one way trips are not allowed).
3. You have to book 7 days in advance.
4. You have to stay a Saturday night or have 2 midweek nights stay.
5. Reservations for the Domestic Companion Airfare Program must be made by calling, Airline Promotions South, Inc. (“API”) at 866-354-8386.
6. You may not get the flight you want as API will choose the flights that gives you the companion ticket.
I was pretty excited when I saw this because my 10th year anniversary with Mrs Credit Card is during the first week of April. However, as I scanned the website, I realize that there are blackout dates! And it falls on my anniversary! So no free companion flights for me this time. But still, I am excited about this program and will report after I get my hands on a free companion ticket.