Editor's ChoiceCategories Credit Type Issuers Blog

Can I Get An American Express Credit Card After Bankruptcy?

06/10/2010

This is a recent email I got from Stu.

how difficult is it to get a new amex card after filing bankrupcy, I paid them in full before filing

Answer – Stu – to get to the bottom of this, I actually called American Express. The first person I spoke to was from customer service and she was not able to answer that. Then she transferred me to “new accounts” and this was the answer I got from them.

A bankruptcy stays on your credit report for potentially up to 10 years. As long as you have a bankruptcy record on your credit report, American Express will not approve the card. I then asked them if someone could put you as an authorized user on an Amex Card. The answer was it should not be a problem though he cannot be 100% certain about that.

So there you go, the short answer is no.

RELATED POSTS
45 Comments
IhateAmex
October 1, 2010 @ 3:55 am

Correct, they will not give you a card if you filed for bankruptcy in the last 10 years. I just finished 3 hours of calls with them. This is true even with a high six figure annual income, plus 500k in THEIR savings account program.

JC
    July 5, 2018 @ 11:23 pm

You are correct. And I feel sorry; because I am in the same boat.
    If Amex was part of your BK7 or 13; you will NOT, EVER, EVER get another card from them.
    Unless of course you pay them back the money they lost; even though they are “not actually
    asking you for it”. So move on, like I have and try to get over it.
    It does not matter and not worth it.

Jay
      July 9, 2019 @ 4:31 am

Not true

Smitty
November 12, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I just got approved for a american express delta skylines card. I have a bk on my credit for the past 8 yrs

remone
    July 15, 2015 @ 8:16 pm

this is crazy but i just got approved for the delta sky miles amex card 2yrs after bankruptcy! 2 months ago i was also approved for cap1 venture card $10000 limit..a month before that i refinanced my car from 15.9% to 3.74% through my credit union oh and they also approved me for a credit card $1500 cl..there is a light after a bk just have to be humble and patient.

Remone
      May 3, 2016 @ 5:52 am

I think it’s czy thay AMEx wuld giv credit to some with bk on credit while denying others..

October 7, 2016 @ 12:39 am

Bunch of crap! Amex wont approved if you have BK in your credit files!

Chosen!
        May 12, 2017 @ 10:23 pm

Oh yes they will, I was approved for Amex 3 years after my BK. It’s crazy how some get approved and others don’t.

Sam
        July 22, 2017 @ 4:23 am

Wrong. BCE a year after 13 discharge. That’s basically 6 years from file date. I also was approved for the PRG and a card for my business.

Jenna
        May 2, 2019 @ 1:14 pm

They won’t approve you ever if you had Amex in your bankruptcy, if not you can get approved. I had a bankruptcy in 2012 and I’ve had an Amex blue card for the past 2 years, they just raised my limit to 20K. I was recently approved for Wells Fargo Amex with 4K limit. I’ve also gotten preapproval for the Gold Card but I don’t want to pay the $250 annual fee.

Ronnie
    June 18, 2019 @ 1:09 am

Me too ! I got the same credit card . Delta Sky miles American Express card . Then I applied for the American Express Hilton card and got approved . So now i got 2 cards . I have a 10 year bankruptcy and i am only on the 6th year . 4 years to go until its off my report . My wife and I filed for bankruptcy together at the same time . Was for a second house we were renting and my wife also applied for an American Express card in the 6th year , same day as i applied and she got approved for $5,000 . So its not true that you can not get approved when a Bankruptcy is on your report . Just thought i share.

Wally
March 14, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Interesting that a “branded” amex card works…. I wonder if the same is true with branded Visa/Mastercards Anyone know if it is easier to get a branded unsecured card?

Davide
March 25, 2011 @ 5:48 am

Hi,

I had to put my 2 amex under chapter 7 4 years ago (2007) I never wanted to include them but my lawyer said I had to.
i spoke several time with their customer service and they told me that if I volunteerely pay them back they would accept another application from me and they would base their decision only on my actual credit report.
I have a great lawyer and I removed all negative items from my credit report 2 years after filing bankruptcy.
I pay amex the 4000$ i owed them and they re-issued me the card with no problems.
I spoke with Mrs. Boke at the time.
If she is still working at the Amex approval dept. she might be able to help you.
Keep this forum updated.

Hope this helps,

Davide

FL
    October 8, 2015 @ 4:49 pm

Did you also have your bankruptcy removed from your record after 2 years or did it stay for 10 years and then you got another AmEx after paying them back?

Vincent
    October 1, 2016 @ 5:40 pm

How is your lawyer?

angela
March 27, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

We filed two cards with them chapter 7, 6 years ago. My mom tried to add me as an authorized user and it appears I’m completely blacklisted. I have a 6 figure income as well as credit score over 700 now. I had perfect credit at the time of filing and no late pays after so my score recovered quickly. I guess I’ve always wondered if after 10 years I’ll be able to pick up an AMEX or am I on a lifetime internal no-no list with them??

Tina
    December 19, 2016 @ 7:23 pm

I filed Chpt. 7 bankruptcy in 1994 and AmEx was one of the creditors that was listed. So I owed them money that was erased due to bankruptcy. In 1995 my company wanted me to get a corporate AmEx card but I was turned down due to the bankruptcy, even tho the company was backing the card. In 2005 I applied for a branded Delta AmEx card and was given the card. Never tried again for a regular AmEx card.

Suzi Curran
September 5, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

I had a card in 1987 and filed bk. I offered to pay them back 10 years later and reapply. Each time they said I could pay them back but they could not guarantee they would issue a new account. My question is why bother? If you pay them even if they have been charged off and they won’t reissue a card…then you paid them when you didn’t have to and they got their money and you’re still out the card. I gave up 25 years later they still will not issue a card and my score was 780. they keep all your info in a database and if you read the card agreement it tells you if you have “ever” had a bad account they will never reissue you a card.

June 12, 2016 @ 2:41 pm

american express is a rip-off…other cards are better….

Dee
    November 13, 2017 @ 3:04 pm

Yeah, that’s money YOU owned them. You had a loan agreement and had to fulfill it. Amex does not give free handouts. So it’s their decision if they didn’t decide to give you another credit card.

Somebody
March 3, 2012 @ 3:58 pm

I don’t think you should be eager to apply for another AMEX until your bankruptcy 7 has passed 10 years AND successfully removed the bankruptcy information about your past AMEX card on your credit report or you are just adding more inquiry to your credit report which equals reduction in your credit score! I have 2 years to go even though, my girlfriend has added me to her platinum card for past 7 years, I am waiting because, my credit record is spotless and do not want to add anymore inquiry which will stay on your credit report for 2 years. More you apply for credit, more you will lose points on your score! That is any type of credit. By the way, I had Centurion Black Card so, I have to show not a single inquiry or blemish of any kind on my credit report.

amy dunlap
May 15, 2012 @ 5:36 pm

by the way an inquiry does not stay on for 2 years

Josh
    July 16, 2016 @ 10:58 pm

Experian keeps your inquiries for 2 years. Equifax and Transunion only 1 year.

Michael Cook
May 30, 2012 @ 11:10 pm

I started with credit when I was 16 with one of those Capital One highschool cards for students and years later I ended up with a green card and a blue from amex with a line of $31,900. My credit score was 715 back then… They wanted income verification from me and I already owed $16,000 on that card and I said I don’t want bothered with the hassle. So Chase picked up their business back in 2008 with a $20,000 credit limit increase and transfered the entire balance..Then a few months later my business went under and I got stuck with $100,000 in personal and business debt and had to do a chapter 7 bankruptcyabout 3 years ago… Now here I am my Fico is at 670 and it will be mid 700’s by 16 months from now even though I have a bankruptcy because I have tons of paid as agreed accounts over 11 years.. over 50. But the point being I never filed bankruptcy on Amex and I applied several times and they decline me just for bankruptcy.. I even tried to get an exception by a supervisor but it didn’t happen so I just gave up and the truth is you’ll NEVER have a American Express card with a bankruptcy on record expecially how these banks are today… I filed on Chase $27,000 and I called them and they said they will overlook that and once they see more payment historyon my 11 accounts I could get approved for a Chase Freedom Card even with a bankruptcy… I thought I would of been black listed.. Chase is a good bank but I really like american express

Jenn
August 10, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

I am going to BR court on the 28th and I am thinking of how to rebuild my credit after this. Would any CC company that I filed on give credit after this is done. Or will I have to pay what I owed them before I would be reissued credit.
Another question: Would getting personal loans of say $500 from my bank be a good way to rebuild my credit?

T
    May 16, 2016 @ 2:56 am

Get a new card. I got a capital one within months after and paid off each month. They are great to help rebuild. Just go slow with charging and pay off on time every month.

RandyKnows
October 17, 2012 @ 2:49 pm

Why do you even want a charge card that costs you money to have?

Go to your local credit union, put up a deposit and get a VISA or MC.

Dede
November 8, 2012 @ 1:12 am

Does anyone know how to directly reach the Credit Dept at AMEX? Does someone have a # for them?

Karl Marquez
November 24, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I never have a Amex. Have been pasted 11 year since my BK. It is not longer in any of my CR. My credit is over 740 in all CRs.
I have a Corporate Amex and I want to apply for a Blue Cash AMEX.

I applied for a Chase Freedom and I was denied because even my CR is excellent, they have access to the “Black List” of BK people even after 10 years. They asked me very specific, if I had a BK ever in my credit life, I said not in the last ten years. DENIED.
Question, even the BK is not in my credit, Amex can have acceess to this BlackList and never approve a personal Credit Card? Means even has pasted 10 years, and your CR is perfect, all your lender will know that you filed for a BK?? Please, somebody help me to understand this??

Brwnbarbie24
    October 12, 2016 @ 8:52 pm

Contact Chase’s reconsideration department. Explain why you filed bankruptcy and your current improved credit, and there’s a high chance that you will get approved.

Chuck
December 26, 2012 @ 3:38 pm

During my BK Chap 7 in 2009 I added them to the BK, I negotiated and made a deal if I paid them in full, I get to keep my card. I paid them in full, on time. I never had any issues with them in then 15 years I had their card. once they recieved all the money they closed my account and blacklisted me. They told me not to apply for 12 years after BK discharge. The sad part it was from an Ex-wife that I should have disputed but didn’t. They conned me out of $2500 then closed my account. bottom line is, don’t trust them-they will LIE their asses off

AMEXNOMORE
March 21, 2013 @ 1:13 pm

Had a BK in 1990 and owed AMEX about $1800. Applied numerous times after 10 years had passed figuring the BK was off my record and a had really high credit scores. They still say no. Last time I applied was around 2010 and was declined again. I spoke with them and they show that I owed them the $1800 from 1990. Same story… if I pay them I can reapply and go through normal credit checks and MAY BE approved. Too much of a big gamble. Don’t need an AMEX that bad when there are plenty of other choices for reward credit cards. AMEX wrote off that loss over 23 years ago. I have since rebuilt my life and credit, but AMEX’s arcane policies seem nothing more than a grudge at this point. I have taken my credit card business elsewhere where I get many of the same perks. With the perks and rewards, AMEX cards are no longer what they used to be. Most of my friends have gotten rid of the Black or Platinum cards (those days are over) and have opted for AMEX Green (the new “in”) or Visa/MC.

Jeanine
March 23, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I had a bk 20 years ago and have had a gold card under my husbands business card. I had damaged my card and requested a new one and was denied. Why? The answer to this is because I had a bk in the past! I have been tiring to resolve the problem for over a week with Amx and keep getting transferred to different departments with no results. I have a great credit score and have never been late on any of my other cards on record or the business card. I am the manager of that account and have had it since 1995. My husbands is not effect by this on the card but they refused to give me a new replacement card. I don’t understand that they can go back in the records that far and hold you to the stake for ever!!!

Sue
May 1, 2013 @ 8:26 pm

I filed for BK in 2009. American Express was one of the creditors. My boss called in to make me an “authorized user” of the account, and they denied that. Tell him to call in if they he wants more information. Can they let him know of my prior bk? I’ve been call in, and they have me as “Account Manager”, and am able to pay on line and talk to people, which is all we wanted.

I guess if you are blacklisted, they won’t even give a corporate card.

Phillip
May 17, 2013 @ 4:37 am

Apply for the new Pre-Paid American Express Cards! There Perfect! All the advantages of AMEX. If you ever had a BK you unfortunately will be backlisted unless you become a multimillionaire.

CAMERON
July 3, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

If the American express agent asks you if you ever had a bankruptcy in your life they have broken the law ! They only can base your credit approval on your current credit profile ! If they do not see it on your credit profile it is bias and against federal law to ask personal information beyond the credit report ! The minute you were asked that question you had the right to sue them under the fair credit reporting act. American Express keeps a lifetime of records on people is true. They will deny you credit based upon something over 20 years ago. Technically you can go to court and force them to offer you credit. The Fair credit reporting act requires all lenders to follow its guidelines. You cannot be denied just because they say so. But it happens over and over again because people choose not to sue them. American Express by law must provide the derogatory information in your CURRENT CREDIT REPORT to deny credit !

Bob
    November 12, 2015 @ 2:46 am

FCRA does not restrict Financial Institutions like American Express from keeping an internal list (black list) on individuals that have defaulted on an account with them. They cannot ask if you have a BK greater than 10 years as they can only use your current credit report and any internal blacklist. FCRA prohibited that the bank cannot share their blacklist for accounts that have not been paid in full that is greater than 10 years due to a bankruptcy.

James
January 27, 2016 @ 5:42 am

BK in Oct 2010.
Did not burn Amex in BK.

Applied for Amex Gold Delta Skymiles card June 2015, income 90,000 – declined.
Applied for Amex Gld Delta Skymiles card January 2016, income 90,000 – accepted.

Possible that 5 years was a key, also possible that credit scores improved from under 700 to over 700 between June 2015 and January 2016.

Mrs. C.
February 8, 2016 @ 7:18 pm

RandyKnows & Bob are right. You don’t need AMEX, and if you’ve ever had a Ch.7 BK with them, they don’t want you back. They do have the right, as all lenders do, to rely on their own internal records of your payment history with them, as far back as they’d like to go. They have the right to deny you based on this, regardless of your credit score with any of the three major credit bureaus, how much money you make/have, or even if you’ve paid back what you wrote off under the BK. It doesn’t matter how long ago the BK was, how long it’s been since it’s been discharged, since you’ve paid them back, or since the BK or any accounts with AMEX have been off your credit report. None of that matters. They don’t have to give you a credit account, and you don’t need an account with a fee (all of theirs do). Say goodbye to AMEX.

Jonathan
May 5, 2016 @ 12:36 am

I had I bankruptcy 5 year ago I was denial for The Amex EveryDay card and told me to wait thirty day ,and apply again for one of their credit card , should I still apply or I will be denial again

Alex
    June 29, 2017 @ 7:55 am

Exactly years after got my BK discharged I tried to apply Amex Simply Cash CC – got approved for 1K limit.

Annette
March 22, 2017 @ 12:08 am

I filed bankruptcy back in 2004, I was approved for an American Express card in 2010.

Julia
September 8, 2017 @ 3:24 am

I filed chapter 7 in 2011. I didn’t want to include my amex card, but I was told I had to include all c.c’s. I had applied a few times for a new amex and was immediately declined. I almost gave up! I figured I would try 1 more time and to my surprise …I was approved for the SPG amex, blue preferred cash and I also got my green card back. When I received my new cards, they also kept my original date of member from 1999. Don’t give up! Work hard, spend responsibly and you will be rewarded.Yes

Sean M
October 26, 2018 @ 4:21 pm

So my wife and I spend well over 100k on our credit cards per year. I have perfect credit after a Chapter 7 years ago. I included a 1500 AMEX Blue debt as my attorney told me that I had to. My wife applied for the platinum card and got it. Went to add me as an authorized user and I got the card but it was immediately cancelled due to my past default with AMEX. Spoke to customer service, was told by a rep that if I paid the past due debt then I would be added. I PAID THE DEBT AND THEY TOLD ME I COULD NOT BE ADDED. IF YOU HAVE EVER DEFAULTED ON AN AMEX ACCOUNT YOU CAN NEVER GET ANOTHER ONE EVEN AS AN AUTHORIZED USER. AMEX APOLOGIZED FOR THE MISINFORMATION AND SENT MY MONEY BACK TO ME.

ash
    June 29, 2019 @ 6:28 pm

How long did you wait after you paid them off to ask to be added as a authorized user?