|by Mr Credit Card|
I just received a letter from Chase telling me “CONGRATULATIONS” and that my account has been approved for an “upgrade” to the Chase PRESTIGE Credit Card!
What’s all the big fuss? Well, the letter said that I will become a Charter member in the new elite-level credit card program and enjoy an array of 18 valuable services and benefits available only to those who hold the Chase Prestige Credit Card! Wow!
So to cut to the chase, here were the list of benefits :
- Membership in Rewards Network – which gives 20% off your entire bill (food, beverages, and even taxes and tip) at more than 7000 participating restaurants (sounds great, but you need to have restaurants that are signed up in your area)
- A VIP-Members-Only-toll-free number to call to make all your travel reservations at the guaranteed lowest fares then available – OK – this sounds like a pretty good deal
- 5% cash back on all US hotel rooms, airline tickets, car rentals and cruises – Now this sounds more like a great deal and frequent travelers would love this
- Credit Card protection service for every card you carry (often a $49.00 a year service – yours completely free) – Hmmm, this sounds like the identity theft protection.
- Computerized trip itineraries, plus local maps
- $2,500 emergency cash wired to you anywhere in the US
- Emergency airline tickets – not too sure what this is all about
- Guarantee of non-responsibility for your limited liability if your cards are used fraudulantly from the instant you make a toll-free phone call – nothing new here – all cards have this and I would not call this an extra benefit!
- $250,000 flight insurance
- Discounts at major car rentals – this is a good feature
- A toll-free number that lets you save money by locating the nearest Chase ATM – don’t think anyone would actually use this
- A toll-free weather number that gives you current conditions and forecast for the city/town you are traveling to! – I think most would use our iPhones!
- Free additional Chase Prestige credit card status for family members – thought this was to be expected
- So it all sounds great until I read a paragraph or two below. Here is what it says : Yet the cost for your elite card upgrade is just $79 , automatically billed to your account annually for as long as your account is in good standing……………..And if you are not satisfied with your “upgrade”–for any reason– call 1-888-326-7157 and we’ll give you a refund, no questions asked.
In my opinion, the best feature is probably the 5% cash back you get from the US hotel rooms, airline tickets and car rentals. If you travel a lot, I can see how this card will benefit you. For now, I will just leave this as it is but I am tempted to give this a go for a year and see how it works.
If you have been upgraded, I would like to hear your experiences.