Blue Cash Everyday® Card From American Express Review
Intro Purchase APR
Intro Balance Transfer
0.00% for 15 months
12.99% to 21.99% (variable)
0%* for 15 Months
Probably the best cash back card for everyday spending, especially for those who use their cards at stand-alone supermarkets, gas stations and department stores. Highly recommended as for those looking for a cash back card.
- Get 50 Reward Dollars, redeemable for a $50 statement credit, after you make $1,000 in purchases with your new Card in the first three months.
- Plus, get one year of Amazon Prime after you sign up for a new membership with your Card and meet the spending requirement in the same time period.
- As an Amazon Prime member, you get unlimited Free Two-Day Shipping on millions of items.
- Earn Cash Back: 3% at US supermarkets, up to $6,000 per year in purchases, 2% at US gas stations & select US dept stores, 1% on other purchases. Terms and limitations apply.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be redeemed as a statement credit.
- 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, then a variable rate, currently 12.99% to 21.99%, based on your creditworthiness and other factors.
- Terms and Restrictions Apply.
Brief History - For the longest time, the original "Blue Cash" was the flagship cash back card of American Express. That all changed in 20111 when they announced changes to the cash back formula and rebranded their card.
I personally have the old Blue Cash and prior to that, there was a tiered formula, whereby you could earn 5% cash back on gasoline, supermarket and drugstore expenses once your annual spending exceeded $6,500. But I think Amex realized that not everyone was thrilled with the idea of having to cross a spending threshold to earn the maximum cash back.
To rectify that, they came up with two new cards (still under the Blue Cash Family). The first is the "everyday" version (which we are reviewing here) and the other is the "preferred" version with an annual fee. These cards did away with the tier structure and instead was replaced by a simply straight formula. The original Blue Cash has been grandfathered in that the old cash back formula is still in place for existing card members.
How Do You Earn Cash Back - The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express allows you to get 3% cash back at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets, 2% cash back on gasoline at U.S. stand-alone gas stations and select major department stores; 1% cash back on other purchases. One thing to note is that the first $6,000 of purchases at U.S. stand-alone supermarkets in a calendar year qualifies for 3% cash back; 1% thereafter.
Most grocery credit cards allow you to earn 3% cash back only if you purchase their "in-house" brands. Hence, in my opinion, if you shop at various supermarkets, this would be a card to consider.
How to Redeem Cash Back - The cash back that you earn can be redeemed in a variety of ways. For example, they can be redeemed in the form of a statement credit. You can do this once you have earned $25 in cash back. They can also be redeemed for gift cards and some merchandise.
Now that we have gone through the main features, let us now look at them in greater detail.
Terms and Conditions Apply
1. New Blue Cash® credit cards from American Express help put cash back in consumers' pockets with up to 6% back from everyday shopping